Kawaikini New Century Public Charter School is a newly authorized K-12 school on the island of Kauaʻi. As a Hawaiian-medium and Hawaiian-values school, Kawaikini has established the following as its founding principals:
Vision (revised 2016)
Kū kilakila ʻo Kawaikini, ke ʻōlino nei, mālamalama
Steadfastly stands Kawaikini, for the brightness of day is here
Kawaikini stands tall in an era of knowledge and enlightenment
Mission (revised 2016)
Kū haʻaheo mākou, ko Kawaikini, i kaiaulu kuanoʻo, naʻauao, a hāehuola e kuluma ai ka ʻōlelo, nā manaʻo, a me nā hana a ka poʻe ʻōiwi o Hawaiʻi nei.
We, Kawaikini (NCPCS), stand tall as a thoughtful, knowledgeable, and healthy community where the language, beliefs and practices of the indigenous people of Hawaiʻi are instinctive.
- We believe that we have a responsibility to cultivate and nurture the traditional language, culture, and values of Kauaʻi.
- We believe that the Hawaiian language should be a respected and normal part of daily life throughout Hawaiʻi.
- We believe that bilingualism is cognitively advantageous.
- We believe that good physical, spiritual, and emotional health is vital to learning.
- We believe that being part of a caring community provides children with the inner strength to succeed throughout life.
- We believe that a diverse and academically rich education is necessary to thrive in a dynamic, ever-changing world.
- To create and implement an integrated K-12 Kauaʻi-based curriculum;
- To develop and foster a community of Hawaiian language speakers;
- To improve and support the overall health of our learning community;
- To engage parents and Kaua’i organizations in achieving a well-rounded Hawaiian education;
- To prepare students with the skills and knowledge necessary for success in their academic and career pursuits.
Foundations of Kawaikini
- Hawaiian-culture focus
- Immersion education
- Community partnerships / Service learning
- ‘Ohana learning community
- High standards for all
- Three unique curricular strands
Read about our accreditation here.